Beer of the Weekend #89: Trader Joe's Bohemian Lager

Holy shit. I’m flipping between the Kansas State-UCLA game and “College Football Final” and remembered I have another BotW to write tonight. I’ll make this a quick one.

The second beer of the weekend is Trader Joe’s Bohemian Lager brewed by the Trader Joe’s Brewing Company of San Jose, California.


TJBL is my base lager this weekend. I decided to give it a try after drinking TJ’s Vienna Style Lager for a base the last two weekends.

Serving type: Six 12-ounce bottles.

Appearance: Poured a clear, slightly tinted gold. Two fingers of white head developed and dissipated to leave a spotted lacing and ring around the edge.

Smell: There’s a slight hint of macro lager grain skunk, but there’s a prominent and pleasant malt aroma. A little lemon or grapefruit citrus rounds it out.

Taste: Very bread-like with an ample hop bite. The citrus comes off more like a pale ale grapefruit.

Drinkability: It’s very well balanced and tasty. Not the best, but it’s far from offensive.

Fun facts about TJBL:

-Price: $5.99/sixer.

-Serving temperature: 40-45°F.

-Alcohol content: 5 percent ABV.

-Food pairings: BA recommends curried dishes (like Indian and Thai) and sharp cheeses (Blue and Cheddar).

-IBU: 18.

-Although it’s called Bohemian Lager, BA classifies it as a Czech pilsner.

-On the back of the bottle is:


Bohemia is a lush region in the southwest corner of the Czech Republic that is rich in brewing tradition. The Bohemians were pioneers in brewing their beers clear and golden, using bottom-fermenting lager yeast.

And then there’s some blatant product marketing, which I won’t repeat here.

-I picked up the sixer on Thursday when I had to get up a few other things. I had a list and pen with me, and when I visited the beer aisle I wrote down the names of three other lager varieties TJ’s sells: 3 Horses, Oranjeboom, and Peter’s Brand Dutch Classics. They’re imported Dutch beers I’ve never heard of. I’ll have to try them, even though all three come in cans. God, I hate that aluminum taste.


The Quiet Man’s grade: C+.

Comments

Popular Posts