"Sale sale sale!"

A few monumental things have happened in the last 24-hours.

#1: I moved (I’ll write about that later).

#2: This morning I saw a doctor for the first time since my emergency room visit in Santa Cruz more than two years ago. Despite the awesome medical insurance I have from UC Irvine, it’s probably been two and a half years since I saw a doctor for a routine check-up. And, since it was my first visit, …

#3: …I had to fill out medical insurance paperwork for the first time. Damn, was that shit annoying and eye opening. I had to sign forms regarding medical malpractice suits, the responsibilities I have with my provider, and my personal information. A family history check-list was not among them, which surprised me.

#4: I bought a MacBook.


It’s not everyday you buy a laptop. Then again, it’s not everyday you can buy a laptop for $700 off. That’s right: My shiny, new-computer-smelling, $1700 MacBook cost me a cool grand. When the new model MacBooks were released recently the bookstore at UCI put all its unsold older models on sale. Week by week the price dropped and the secure rack, complete with multiple security chains, slowly shed it’s contents.

There was just a single black one left and I didn’t want to wait around and possibly miss my chance to snatch it up. I’ve had my eye on a laptop from Apple for a long time. Like a kid outside a candy or pet store, I would sometimes go to the website and build my ideal MacBook, then drool over the possibilities. The price was too outrageous. Plus, I love my iMac. Why would I get a new computer when I already have such a beastly piece of hardware?

I’m a frugal bastard. It’s not everyday I drop a thousand dillies; far from it. My purchase today was very uncharacteristic, but I had my reasons. First, my mom wants a new computer and I’ve offered her mine. If I bought a MacBook I would send her my iMac so she could ditch her piece of shit PC. (Then Macs would once again rule my family! Bwahahaha!) Secondly, the sale at the bookstore was a once-in-a-lifetime deal allowing me to buy exactly what I wanted for a blowout price. From a business standpoint it was a no-brainer, but it was a hellish decision emotionally. One thousand dollars? That is a shit-load of money to me. It was tough struggle and I almost walked away. I played with the MacBooks on display to push me in either direction, but it didn’t work. An epic tug of war battle raged in my head until one side out-muscled the other. When that moment came I announced, “I’m doing it,” and coolly approached the counter. The cashier unlocked the box from the rack, rang it up, swiped my plastic, and handed it to me.

Mine!

Except for when I ran and ate (and wrote this), all I’ve done tonight is set it up. Despite being brand new, all the system software needed updating (probably one gigabyte worth). I was unsure if my Office 2004 would work but it installed without problem. I have yet to transfer all my music, documents, and photos, another lengthy job. What I should be doing is cleaning up the mess of my move. I still have stuff lying all over the floor in my new room.

Comments

Popular Posts