In search of: A St. Pat's hat

Take a good, long look at this picture and try not to laugh:


I stumbled on it while browsing the internet for "St. Patrick's Day hats." It has to be one of the oddest/funniest/worst pictures I've ever seen. Not only is the hat ridiculous (only a serious drunk would wear something like that in public) but combining it with the sunglasses and the model's expression (from what I can tell he's about to say, "Duh, oogly oogly oogly oogly!") takes it beyond hilarity.

Needless to say, I'm not sold. I was looking for something more along the lines of a green felt derby hat, like this:


It's simple, minimalistic, and more humble. In other words, it fits my personality. But I probably won't buy it. What's the point in buying something you'll use only one day a year? Because it's fun. ("Duh, oogly oogly oogly oogly!")

There used to be a Hallmark store at the Pepperwood Place shopping center in Iowa City. When I was a kid I remember seeing plastic, green derby hats on sale for St. Pat's there, and I always thought it'd be cool to wear one to school. It would have been a hit in high school, except for my senior year when we weren't allowed to wear hats. I never got one, of course, but the desire to own one has stuck with me, so I may just actually do it this year.

Comments

Popular Posts