J

Yesterday was also Mark Johnston’s birthday. Mark (dubbed Homie, MJ, KJ, J, and The Licker) was my high school journalism adviser. I haven’t seen him in over five years, but we’ve kept in touch (well, I write him, but his replies are rare).

J was the first to steer me down the non-fiction path. The feature stories and columns I wrote for the Little Hawk paved the way for the personal and creative essays I write today. News journalism wasn’t my thing (sorry), but my experiences as a reporter, columnist, and editor provided insights to my natural talents and interests. I’m an observer, always trying to be just a face in the crowd; I love the metaphors of everyday life, and the monumental impact of the mundane; I work best by myself, when I have complete control of my projects and no one gets in my way.

Happy belated birthday, J.

Comments

Popular Posts