And in the beginning...

Welcome to my blog. This is my first entry, so don't expect much. It'll be an introduction for me and you. I'm not sure what I'll write or how much. It'll be about my life. It's the life of a quiet man. I'm an observer and a thinker. I'm an artist and a Libra. Don't confuse my unbiasness with apathy. It's not because I don't care; it's because I'm constantly balancing right and wrong, good and bad. I can see positives and negatives to all things, and I'm indecisive sometimes. I like to see how things work, how things play out, before I make a definite decision.

I'm not going to make this an online version of a journal, or at least I'll try. This isn't a place where I feel comfortable stripping myself to the bone for everyone to see how I truly work. In time I might. It's up to you if you want to read, and it's up to me if I want to write. If I write about my thoughts and feelings, you're not obligated to read them. Just click for the next blog.

Here's a little bit about me, in the style of a Fleer rookie card for the Boston Celtics star point guard (which I wanted to be at one time). Now all I have to do is remember what the back of a Fleer rookie card looks like:

(Dorky media guide picture of me from the shoulders up.)
DOB: 10/22/1982
Height: 6 ft
Weight: 180 lbs
College: Iowa
Place of Birth: Grand Junction, CO
Hometown: Iowa City, IA
Years in the NBA: Rookie

I think that's close. Below it'd list my stats in college, which would be chalk full of points, assists, and blocks (yes, blocks; the kind you get by reaching, touching the bottom of the ball with the tip of your finger). I wouldn't have as many rebounds, and that's kind of fitting for me.

I'm still in college. I'm going to graduate in May with an English degree (yeah, I know: "What can you do with an English degree?"). After that I don't know what's happening. I'll work, maybe. I'm applying for jobs, but the truth is I don't know if a job is right for me. I don't know what's right for me. I want to move to a Caribbean or South Pacific island, tend bar for money, and read, fish, swim, and write all day; learn how to play bongo drums and form a band called The Rummies. I'm one of those people who listens to his gut instinct. If my gut isn't into it, then it's not good for me. I'll figure something out, and so will my gut. It's too early to tell and decide for certain.

I just realized I didn't finish what the title was going to say. Here goes: "...there was a quiet man, and the quiet man was good. But the quiet man was not satisfied. He was bored at work because there was nothing to do on a Thursday morning. So he created a blog, and the blog was good, or so he thought as he wrote his first post." Here's something my friends might not know about me: I've always wanted to read the Bible, cover to cover. I think I've become agnostic, but I still want to read the Bible. It's amazing to think how much criticism and ridicule art and writing heap on Christianity, but many of the themes, metaphors, and similies in art and writing originate from the Bible and its teachings. Honestly, I can never pick them out. That's why I want to read the Bible.

So why is the html name "thequietman22" when the blog's name is The Quiet Man? Well, Blogger said "thequietman" was already taken, so I added the 22. It's my lucky number, plus the day of my birth. Twenty two's are always good for me. The number on my old rec league basketball shirt is 27, though. I wanted 22, but someone else told me, "That's usually the number I always have, and it's really my number, so I'd like to have it if you don't mind." I'm such a kind, loving, caring sucker. My name on the back was "Plastic Man." I retired that shirt. It's pinned on the door to my room.

Well, I think that does it for my first post. We'll see how this blog shapes up, or not. The best it can do is mimic my life. Later. Peace.

Comments

Popular Posts