Beer of the Weekend #672: Anchor Saison

After finishing my run today, I found a bag full of 12 empty PBR cans. I took it home and dumped the cans in my can recycling bin. Later on I found a 32-ounce (I think) can of Bud Light rolling in the street. I took that home and put it in my can bin. It’s not that I did both just because it’s Earth Day, but because I am a recycling freak who hates litter. I do it every day, and so should you.

Reduce, reuse, and recycle, baby!

A couple nights ago, Sweets gave me a bottle of Anchor Saison, brewed by the Anchor Brewing Company of San Francisco, California.


Anchor Saison pours a clean, clear, medium amber into a pint glass. A finger of off-white head dissipates quickly (almost faster than I can note its color), leaving a spotted skim and ring around the edge. The overall appearance reminds me of apple cider, though with a little more head. The aroma is spicy and is somewhat reminiscent of pumpkin ale. There is some funky farmhouse spice, as one would expect, nutmeg, clove, ginger, perhaps pepper, and caramel. The beer’s webpage says it is also brewed with lemongrass and lemon peel, and there is a hint of citrus. It is a touch musty, as well. The flavor is quite spicy and tasty. There are flavors of clove, nutmeg, ginger, pepper, a little caramel, lemon citrus, and funky farmhouse yeast. It still tastes quite a bit like a pumpkin ale — albeit a spicy pumpkin ale. Despite the higher-than-average ABV, the alcohol is completely masked.

Fun facts about Anchor Saison:

-Style: Saison.

-Price: I have no clue because I didn’t pay for it.

-Alcohol content: 7.2 percent ABV.

-Anchor Saison is a March–May season that was first brewed and bottled in 2014.


The Quiet Man’s grade: B+.

Popular Posts