Beer of the Weekend #671: Leinenkugel's Canoe Paddler

I do not get to use my stange very often, but I knew I had to take advantage of the opportunity when I noticed a couple bottles of Canoe Paddler, brewed by the Leinenkugel’s Brewing Company of Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin, in my fridge. (They were given to J-Rod for some reason.)


I am going to do things differently, shake things up, tonight. I am working through a backlog of BeerAdvocate magazines and have been reading the reviews written by the Alström brothers. They are short, concise, and would make Hemingway happy. I’m jealous not only of their expertise, but also of their brevity. So I thought I would review tonight’s beer in one paragraph.

Here we go.

Canoe Paddler pours a clean, clear, golden straw. A fair amount of carbonation rises from the bottom. About two fingers of buttery, light, off-white head slowly fizzles away. The aroma is crisp, clean, and pilsner-like. It is earthy, floral, and has a dash of lemon zest. It is also a little grassy. It is easy drinking with pale malt, light caramel, earthy hops, a little grass, adequate bitterness, a bit of rye spice, and a little zest.

Fun facts about Canoe Padder:

-Style: Kölsch.

-Price: I have no clue, but J-Rod drinks enough of my PBR that I did not feel bad about taking a Canoe Paddler. (I asked for permission, anyway. He did buy the latest 30-pack, which I greatly appreciated.)

-Alcohol content: 5 percent.

-IBU: 11.

-Canoe Paddler is a seasonal that is available April through July.

-According to the Leinenkugel’s website, Canoe Paddler won the gold medal at the Great American Beer Festival in the German-style Kölsch category in 2013. It won a bronze medal in the same category in 2014.


The Quiet Man’s grade: C+.

Popular Posts