Beer of the Weekend #926: Confluence Original

I have two different beers chilling in my fridge, and the plan was to review both last weekend. However, I drank only one of them: Original, brewed by the Confluence Brewing Company of Des Moines, Iowa.

Confluence Original

The color is a clear, clean gold that looks amazing. A finger and a half of beige head leaves a frothy collar and lacing.

The aroma is simple, beer-like, and enticing with earthy hops, a touch of grass, and bready malt. There are also hints of spice, mostly rye. It has been a while since I had a helles, but this version is not as grassy or barnyard-like; there is no “horse blanket” aroma.

The flavor is sharp, dry, and delicious. It is mostly true to the traditional style with earthy hops, spice (I keep thinking of rye), bready malt, and a touch of citrus. Again, it is not as grassy as the authentic Bavarian versions. An earthy bitterness lingers on the taste buds. It is easy and tasty drinking!

Fun facts about Original:

• Style: Helles.

• Price: I think I shredded the receipt, but I believe it was about $10 for a four-pack of 16-ounce cans at the “Drug Town” on First Avenue and Rochester in Iowa City

• Alcohol content: 4.8 percent ABV.


The Quiet Man’s grade: B.

Comments

Popular Posts