Beer of the Weekend #898: Tank Puncher

I bought a six-pack of Point’s Oktoberfest last week ... a beer I reviewed five years ago. Oops! I took notes and could have revisited it, but decided not to.

The Cubs not only lost game 163 to decide the NL Central champion on Monday, they lost the NL Wild Card game aginst the Rockies on Tuesday, ending the North Siders’ 2018 season. I feel most sorry for the Wrigley Field custodians; the visiting locker room was drenched in cheap champagne and beer two days in a row. The Cubs never celebrated their playoff birth.

Anyway, I bought a sixer of Tank Puncher, brewed by the ReUnion Brewery of Coralville, Iowa, to toast the Cubs’ season Wednesday night. However, I ended up finishing the last two cans of Point’s Oktoberfest and saved Tank Puncher for this weekend.



The color is cloudy golden amber. An overly careful pour did not produce much head, only a half finger of beige, bubbly, buttery foam that leaves a skim and buttery collar.

The aroma is very fruity and tropical. There are scents of orange, pineapple, mango, kiwi, and grapefruit. It’s very juicy and reminiscent of pineapple juice.

The flavor is much the same with pineapple, more grapefruit than is in the aroma, and floral and arboreal hops, which provide a nice bite. Orange is also quite prominent, but it continues to be more tropical. (Is orange tropical? I’m unsure.)

Fun facts about Tank Puncher:

• Style: I’m assuming it’s a New England IPA but can’t find any online to confirm it.

• Price: $10.99 for a six-pack of 12-ounce cans at the New Pioneer Food Co-op in Iowa City.

• Alcohol content: 7.5 percent ABV. Woo! I did not realize that until I looked at the ReUnion website.

• IBU: 50.


The Quiet Man’s grade: B.

Popular Posts