Beer of the Weekend #678: The Crisp

Today was one of those days when I have three email accounts open at the same time. It was a doozey. Needless to say, it is time to sit back, “relax,” and enjoy a brew. (I don’t know how I can relax while staring at my laptop when I have stared at it all day.)

I was in the Chicago suburbs this weekend, painting my cousin’s remodeled basement for 10–12 hours a day, and I made sure to visit the local Binny’s Beverage Depot once. One of the two six-pack’s I picked up was a sixer of The Crisp, brewed by the Sixpoint Brewery of Brooklyn, New York.


The Crisp pours a sexy pale gold with a chill haze into a pilsner glass. A finger of off-white head leaves a skim and buttery collar. The aroma is muted, though light scents of mango and maybe tangerine are noticeable. There may also be a little kiwi, too. The beer earns its name with its flavor. Ahhhh! A pilsner-like, crisp bite comes through and it is complemented by pale malt, grass, lemon zest, and a touch of tangerine. The bitterness moves to the back end as the beer warms and the pale malts and grass become much more prominent up front. Lemon slowly becomes noticeable in the aroma, too.

Fun facts about The Crisp:

•Style: Pilsner.

•Price: $9.99/sixer at the Binny’s Beverage Depot on South Route 83 in Willowbrook, Illinois.

•Alcohol content: 5.4 percent ABV.

•IBU: 44.

•Color: 5.9 SRM.

•The can and Sixpoint’s website feature a “Beer for Beasts” logo. At first I thought it may be a animal-related charity organization, but I learned that it is a beer festival organized by Sixpoint and BeerAdvocate where 100 percent of the profits benefit the Humane Society of New York. Very cool.


The Quiet Man’s grade: B+.

Popular Posts