Beer of the Weekend #470: Loose Cannon

Milwaukee is surprisingly underrated, but I will get to that later. I have Southern beer to drink before I can move on to my new Wisconsin haul.

The beer tonight is Loose Cannon, brewed by the Clipper City Brewing Company of Baltimore, Maryland.


Though Clipper City is listed as the brewer on the label, Heavy Seas is prominently displayed on the bottle. Heavy Seas may be a brand or series name. I am unsure and it is too late for me to care enough to properly investigate. I just want to drink a beer.

Serving type: 12-ounce bottle. The freshest taste notches are located at “JUL” and “13.”

Appearance: Poured into a tulip. The color is hazy, pale amber. A finger of thick, uneven, off-white head dissipated slowly.

Smell: Though it leans malty, it is a nice balance of IPA citrus and a sweet, bready foundation. Sweet caramel, toffee, bready malts, pine, tangerine, and touches of grapefruit. A hint of alcohol is also noticeable.

Taste: The hops are likely not as strong since this bottle is on the older side, but it is still a tasty brew. It has a thick, creamy mouthfeel. Sweet caramel, bready malts, tangerine, and a hint of grapefruit. Alcohol overpowers everything at the end of each sip.

Drinkability: Good stuff. I fresher bottle may provide stronger hops but I will take this. Very mellow and drinkable.

Fun facts about Loose Cannon:

-Style: The beer’s website and BA classify it as “American IPA.”

-Price: Mowin’.

-Serving temperature: 45-50ºF.

-Alcohol content: 7.25 percent ABV.


The Quiet Man’s grade: B+.

Popular Posts