The Harlem Shake conquers the Welsh Open

I do not visit Awful Announcing as much as I did, or should. So tonight, when checking if the site made note of Kathryn Tappen’s outfit Sunday or Monday night on NHL Tonight (she looked like a pink Rainbow Brite), I stumbled on this post featuring this video of the Welsh Open snooker tournament:



I love it. Apparently, the whole thing was initiated by announcer Rob Walker, the tall guy who’s humping the table at one point. (I thought he was the guy in the motorcycle helmet. That guy, as far as I can tell, is just making a fool of himself in a motorcycle helmet. Which makes me think I should pay more attention to snooker: it seems like anything can happen. Plus, I know nothing about snooker.) There is obviously some editing involved so I have no clue how it all started, though.

In the span of a week or two, the Harlem Shake has apparently taken over the world. The first I learned about it was at the Minnesota-Iowa game on Sunday. During a timeout in the first half, the music started playing, Herky grabbed a cowboy hat, and the whole student section went mad when the beat started pulsing through the speakers. I watched and wondered, “What the hell is going on?” I got the sense I was missing something, left out in the cold, that this was important and I should have been in the know. At first I thought it was a modified Bernie; some of the students looked like hyper zombies (probably a contradiction, but whatever). However, it clicked last night when KCRG aired footage of the Cedar Rapids Roughriders doing the Shake in their locker room. Okay — I get it.

I am not a dancing man, but I suppose the Harlem Shake would be easy enough. In a crowd, at least, so I can look like an uncoordinated white guy. Honestly, the tune is kind of infectious.

Oh: Awful Announcing had nothing about Tappen’s outfit and I cannot find a single image online. It was interesting. In fact, I wondered if she lost a bet.

Popular Posts