The Novel Diary: Week 10

Word counts: 6,788 (Chapter 2); 19,418 (total).

Back to the grind of novel writing. I say it like it’s some kind of punishment.

Last night I sat at my desk, opened my MacBook, and tried to writing again after my 10-day vacation. Despite the fact I knew exactly what to write, I had no clue how to write it. I agonized over wording and wrote and rewrote the lead (“lede,” if you speak journalese) to the last section of Chapter 2. Having written a grand total of zero words, I called it a night after one hour. My heart was not in it, I was still in vacation mode, and I needed one last night to recover.

Tonight was better: a 506-word effort. I quit after one hour because I am easing myself back into the routine. Tomorrow night I will add another 15 or 30 minutes. In a certain sense, returning to a writing routine is much like running again after a break, which I also did today. I could tell my illness last week zapped me of a lot of strength and stamina.

With a little luck, I will crack the 20,000-word milestone tomorrow night.

Comments

Popular Posts