The Novel Diary: Week 3

Word counts: 5,946 (Chapter 1); 9,908 (total).

I may be going overboard with the first chapter, but I’ve been feeling it. I have stuff to write about, so why complain? More stuff to cut later.

However, though I know what to do for Chapter 2, a problem arises after that. I have many chapter ideas, but no order starting with Chapter 3. It is definitely something I need to remedy, and I plan to do just that after finishing Chapter 1. I will take a week break and try to pave a road I can follow for the rest of the year.

But the question remains: do I need a set path?

Before my current effort to put this thing on paper, I was convinced that a closely followed outline was vital and necessary for writing a novel. However, I am unsure of that now. The key, I think, is to have inspiration and passion. A beginning and end help, too, and I believe I have both. (Before recently, I had no clue how I wanted the novel to end, but then came to an epiphany: the way I once wanted to begin the book was actually an ideal ending. See: given time and patience you can figure out anything.) But I am beginning to think that what happens in between is a hybrid of serendipity, fate, and maybe just a little planning.

Right now I am hopelessly distracted by the 1985 movie, Brazil. This is why I do not have a TV in my room and why I have probably been very productive and imaginative the last three weeks: the mind numbing power of the boob tube has not been able to reach me. It sucks in a way because I am completely out of touch with college basketball. However, that is a sacrifice I am willing to make.

Comments

Popular Posts