John Lennon: 30 years gone


Tonight marks the 30th anniversary of John Lennon’s murder. It also marks the 10th anniversary of a petty and childish argument Mervgotti and I had: Lennon versus Sinatra.

It was a Friday night and we were being bored teenagers: driving around and listening to music. The Fox was broadcasting a John Lennon special, and I think Mervgotti made some snide comment like, “John Lennon. [Huff.] What a pussy.” It pissed me off, so I launched into an equally ignorant rant (which I conveniently don’t remember). At some point he said, “Sinatra would kick Lennon’s ass.”

Mervgotti loves Sinatra. I have no clue why. It may have a lot to do with his fixation with cultural superstars and, especially, the mob. It may also be because, deep down inside, he is an 85-year-old man. Mervgotti may look like he’s 28, but he acts like a nursing home fogie who spends his days watching game shows, taking naps, eating apple sauce, and listening to classic big band and traditional pop/swing tunes. Naturally, he idolizes Ol’ Blue Eyes and has a vast selection of his discography, and that’s fine…as long as he doesn’t make me listen to it. (Frankly, I cannot get past the irony of a notorious womanizer singing cherished romance numbers.)

Our argument was short (I had everything going against me), but the little tiff has stayed with me as the only memory of that night. Ten years later, not only am I appalled I got drawn into something so trivial and stupid, but that Mervgotti prefers to admire a man steeped in a culture of shady, unethical, and strong arm politics and business (Sinatra became a good friend of Spiro Agnew’s) than an advocate of peace, love, and understanding.

Although I am uncertain if Lennon’s “make love, not war” philosophy can solve all our problems, I deeply admire it and other stereotypical hippie/new age ideas as methods for individual and spiritual enlightenment. Lennon became a pillar in the movement for common compassion, cooperation, and respect, and in that way I think he is still making a huge impact. Perhaps in that sense “make love, not war” can be a solution. His passionate anti-war and anti-imperialist convictions were inspiring, as was his drive to use his artistic ability to change the world for the better.

Despite what Mervgotti thinks, the world lost another much needed spokesman for humanity 30 years ago tonight.

Comments

Popular Posts