Beer of the Weekend #173: Winterbraun

As if The Quiet Man’s dearth of variety was not bad enough the last couple weeks, a number of brown bottle lunches are coming down the chute.

Friday is the deadline for my December beer recommendation in the Little Village, so I need to start sampling some festive winter/holiday brews. However, only a handful have been released yet, not including the standard-bearer of the style: this year’s version of Anchor Christmas Ale. (Mervgotti has assured me a shipment is on the way, but, based on his cynicism, I doubt it will be delivered before Thursday.) That is the only thing that sucks about recommending beer for a monthly magazine: the beers I want to sample and recommend are often not released until after publication. It’s tough shit, but I do my best to suggest a tasty and fitting brew each month.

First in the line of winter/holiday releases is Winterbraun, brewed by the Lost Coast Brewery of Eureka, California.


I believe this may be my first west coast brew since returning to Iowa. I have to say, California’s brewing tradition and culture are head and shoulders above what is currently happening in the Hawkeye State. I will miss the easy access to the plethora of Pacific coast microbrews.

Serving type: One 12-ounce bottle. No freshness date on the bottle.

Appearance: Straight pour into a pint glass. The color is a deep brown with ruby tones at the edges. Three fingers of thick, slightly tanned head developed and dissipated slowly to leave a billowy cap and then spotted lacing.

Smell: Mostly roasted caramel and chocolate malts, but there is a hint of molasses sweetness and coffee malt bitterness. I thought I smelled a little seasonal spiciness, which I would have welcomed, but it must have been a figment of my imagination.

Taste: Creamy and smooth mouthfeel. The flavor is nutty up front, then roasted caramel and chocolate from the smell comes in, and is followed by some winter seasonal spice, though I can’t pin it down. A nice, bitter aftertaste lingers.

Drinkability: Nice brew, though for a winter/holiday beer I expect something more spicy and hoppy. However, that just does not jell with the brown ale style Lost Coast is going for. Another great brew from a great brewery. Very balanced and tasty.

Fun facts about Winterbraun:

-Style: English Brown Ale.

-Price: $1.79/bottle at John’s Grocery in Iowa City.

-Serving temperature: 45-50ºF.

-Alcohol content: 6.5 percent ABV.

-Food pairings: BA recommends early cheeses (Camembert, Fontina), nutty cheeses (Asiago, Colby, Parmesan), pork, and grilled meat.


The Quiet Man’s grade: B+.

Comments

Popular Posts