Beer of the Weekend #82: Ayinger Ur-Weisse

The beer this weekend is Ayinger Ur-Weisse brewed by the Brauerei Aying of Aying, Germany.


Today at BevMo! I got a somewhat awkward beer recommendation from another customer. I was filling my Red Label box with Ur-Weisse when some guy walked up and said, “Hey man. If you want a fucking awesome beer, try this.” He showed me a sixer of Fuller’s London Pride Pale Ale. I considered the label for a moment before responding. I immediately thought hops. Pale ale is not my favorite — I’m just not a hop-head — and I didn’t know what to tell this guy. I was completely uninterested.

“Yeah?” I said.

Then the guy said, “Or, do you work here?”

I suppose that was a valid question since I had a box. But I was taking beer from the shelf, not stocking. Plus, what the fuck does that have to do with anything?

“No,” I said.

“Oh, well.”

Yeah. Whatever.

On a side note, I needed more base lager this weekend so I chose my favorite brew from north of the border: Moosehead. Skunkiness galore.

Serving type: Six 16.9-ounce (.5-liter) bottles.

Appearance: Poured a cloudy caramel. Three fingers of thick billowy foam develop and dissipated gradually to about a finger, which remained throughout the entire glass.

Smell: Delicious. Along with the obvious wheat qualities, there are also some ale traits. Ripe banana is prominent and the yeast follows suit. Cloves add a nice touch of spice. There’s also a pleasant hint of caramel and citrus.

Taste: Very bread-like. The banana is much less dominant. Lots of yeast and cloves, and the caramel from the smell takes a backseat. So does the citrus. The hop bitterness at the back of the tongue is just noticeable, which means it’s perfect for me.

Drinkability: The drinkability is high. Definitely a brew to keep around…when you have the cash.

Fun facts about Ayinger Ur-Weisse:

-Serving temperature: 45-50°F.

-Alcohol content: 5.8 percent ABV.

-Food pairings: BA recommends curried and German cuisine, nutty cheeses (Asiago, Colby, and Parmesan), and salmon.

-There’s not much I can find about Ur-Weisse. I kind of blew my load with Ayinger brews last week.


The Quiet Man’s grade: A-.

Comments

Popular Posts