2 am rant

Tonight was movie night in a way After my roommates exgirlfriend left we drank a couple beers at least i did and watched game three of the world series and the arizona state california game on wonderful fsn which i know ive mentioned is so shitty the equipment they use is the stuff espn discards because its so out of date He passed out and went to bed leaving me with the 50 inch plasma and the hundreds of channels time warner provides us for however a month we pay So i cracked a few more beers and settled down with universal hd and the remake of night of the living dead which isnt a bad movie at all I remember watching it as a kid on hbo and learning how the director and special effects artist used their experience from vietnam to make the zombies and gore as realistic as possible I hadnt seen it in years and expected to be grossed out by the graphic details but was slightly amused by the overt metaphors and bland horror I know the imagery will still haunt me tonight when i go to bed but at times i was actually laughing Movies sometimes do that to me I can easily pick out when the script calls for meaningful dialogue and action something that is supposed to be powerful and artistic but is executed so badly it only comes across as expected plotline Nevertheless it is a very powerful and well done movie though the ending is a stretch I have never seen the original but believe the remake respects it enough to follow the exact premises When it ended i moved to hbo hd a few channels down and found american beauty a movie i have never sat through from beginning to end and last saw in my freshman rhetoric class at iowa I only watched the first 20 minutes or so and all i could think about was did we dress that badly in the late nineties It has always amused me to watch old movies and tv shows to compare the past with the present and to be reminded of what times were like when they were made American beauty came out in 1999 so i was a sophomore and junior in high school during that year and dont remember it very well What i do remember from watching bits of the movie now was how goth and depressing the fashion was I didn’t dress goth or depressed but i do remember now the darker emo feel The late nineties had a very spencer gifts feel to it and maybe that’s partly because the coral ridge mall opened at that time and included and still includes a spencer gifts Every time i enter that store and smell the half hypnotic half erotic smell that reminds me of incense and sex toys what an odd combination huh im reminded of those last years of the nineties when i was still young and relatively innocent

Comments

Popular Posts