The Batman of Santa Cruz (businesses)

Ah. Working temp is the life. Sure, there are days when I don’t work, and I do get bad assignments (I won’t name names here). But it is a sweet gig. I get vacation time whenever I want, receive a check in the mail every week, and am offered cookies and bagels wherever I go. Right now I’m munching on an oatmeal-raisin cookie.

Even though working as an office temp isn’t what I want to do (what do I want to do?), it suits me for now. I’m in California to experience, explore, and write. Working as an office temp allows me to do each. I’m still searching for a real, full time job. But chaining myself to a desk isn’t what I want to do. I want to be free, and I am.

Today I landed a half-day at a law firm. The normal receptionist wasn’t feeling well so she called my temp agency for a replacement. That’s where I came in. I was sitting in my pajamas at my computer, reading through local and national news sites, with one last Pop-Tart waiting in its silver pouch next to my keyboard. I got a call from Manpower. A half hour later I was answering phones, sorting mail, and eating cookies.

I’m like Batman to the Santa Cruz office scene. Only I’m not rich, don’t have a cool car, and arrive at the scene of the crime in business casual attire.

For the most part everyone is nice when I arrive and start working. They introduce themselves and let me know what they do. They know I’m not a clerical whiz and will have trouble with their system at first. Everyone understands (except at the place I won’t name). When I screw up, or have an irate caller on the phone, I say, “I’m sorry. I’m just a temp.” What excuse is better?

Working temp is interesting, too. There’s no other way to say it. Today a man came into the law firm and needed to sign a restraining order. While reading over the statements he said, “I can’t threaten or harm my ex wife? What?” I didn’t say anything. He handed the signed form back to me and left.

When I answered phones at Goodwill I got three or four calls a day from people who wanted to donate upright organs, the miniature versions of church organs. Apparently they were very popular once. The company didn’t accept them, so I always suggested the caller contact a local church or school.

I’m in the last hour of the day. If the receptionist calls in sick tomorrow they want me back. But I won’t know until then. I may work tomorrow, and I may not.

Ah. Life as an office temp.

Comments

Popular Posts