Plugged in, turned on, and finally satisfied

Before I left Huntington Beach my uncle gave me his old, twenty inch Sony Trinitron. He and his girlfriend (who is practically my aunt now) are building a house in Palm Springs (yuck!) and are trying to consolidate their stuff. He didn’t need the TV anymore and offered it to me if I wanted it. Of course I did.

Even though I don’t have cable, I was in desperate need of a television. I’m addicted to my PlayStation2. I was able to plug in and play on the TV above my cousin’s garage, but since I moved I’ve been in withdraw. There isn’t a TV at my new house. My PS2 sat on the closet floor with the cords wrapped and games in order. It was a pathetic sight. But last night I used it for the first time in almost a month. I plugged it in, turned it on, and satisfied my fix.

My favorite game by far is NCAA Football. I have the 2006 version. Instead of opting to play single games I find my way to dynasty mode, where I can coach and control a team over multiple seasons. I become an armchair Kirk Ferentz. Not only do I control the players in the game, I discipline players when they step out of line, shuffle the depth chart, and recruit prospects. My defenses are crippling; no one is allowed yardage. Speed kills, especially when it’s a 6’3”, 225 pound linebacker. On offense I tend to run — a lot. What else do you expect from an Iowa boy? But I also do a fair share of passing. I like recruiting tall, fast receivers, and tall, mobile quarterbacks. I’ve had pocket passers, too. In fact, I’ve gotten so used to them I rarely think about scrambling anymore. It’s a habit I need to rediscover.

Until last winter I stayed with my original team until I became bored and started a new dynasty. Since then I’ve chosen to move from team to team. I never renew my initial three year contract so I can leave. The teams I coach offer me six or nine year extensions, but I always decline. I pick programs in desperate need of rebuilding. I like challenges.

The first team I chose was Eastern Michigan. They play in the MAC. It’s not the best conference, but it’s a good place to develop a reputation. In my three years there I lost one game, won three conference championships, hauled in a slew of offensive line and coach of the year awards, produced one Heisman winner (a running back, of course), and won a national championship in my last year. Afterwards I packed my imaginary bags and headed to Mississippi State. MSU is in the SEC, an extremely tough conference. Every team has speed. In three years I lost five or six conference games, but won the SEC West and SEC Championship twice. I attended two national championships, winning one in my last year. I lifted the trophy and left.

I’m currently at Washington State. It’s the second season I’ve been there. I’m undefeated and about to play Texas Tech for the national championship. I played them in the Holiday Bowl the season before and got trounced. I didn’t even score. After I get off work, do a little writing, and eat diner, it’s payback time.

Oh yeah. Now I’m on a new adventure. This time I’m going to hunt down a TV stand.

Comments

Popular Posts