Stretching

Wow. Has it been almost a month since I wrote in this? I guess it has. I haven't been as dedicated to blogging as I was in the beginning. It's amazing how fast interest wanes with something new. I can't even remember what I wrote last time. Maybe I apologized, and maybe I peddled a few excuses, but I can't remember. So, I'll do it here anyway. I haven't had time, haven't been motivated, and have wanted to write other things. I've needed to be uncensored. I promised "The Quiet Man" would be an edited version of Casey. When I make promises I keep them, and for the past couple months it's been difficult to keep that promise. But, from now on, I'll be trying to write creatively every night and I'll need to "warm up," like the Hawkeyes running simple passing and lay-up drills before basketball games (something I only remember happening when I was younger, during the Dr Tom years). It'll be my stretch before running. But tonight it's all I do.

Side note: Brian Maiers' birthday is today. He's 23. Happy birthday, cuz.

An update is in order, I think. I'm a college graduate now. Last week was finals week. I was done by Tuesday. Commencement was Saturday, but I didn't go. It was never anything I wanted to do; it wasn't part of my college "dream." It didn't seem as special as high school commencement; it seemed less personal. I'd have sat with thousands of people I didn't know, listened to speakers I didn't know the names of, and shook the hands of university administrators who were there jumping through a loop for their job. Instead I opted to get really drunk the night before, sleep in (the ceremony started at 9 am — I didn't get up until noon), and spend the day with family and friends.

Since I didn't go to commencement I had to get my complimentary diploma cover at the Graduation Analysis office in Jessup. It's pretty sweet. The outside is black leather. On the front flap the name and seal of the university are engraved in gold. The inside is gold, too. The bad thing is it'll be empty until mid-June. My diploma won't be mailed until then.

Here's the desktop picture I have on my computer right now:


I found it on MacDesktops.com. It's a sweet site with a lot of quality desktop pictures. I go there frequently. Check it out sometime.

I had a couple epiphanies before graduating. I still hadn't figured out what I wanted to do yet. Then the second to last week of school happened. Everything fell into place. It was like my mind, heart, and stomach had thoroughly digested all my dreams and desires, skills, and options, and delivered a unanimous decision. I'm moving to Santa Cruz, California in September. I even decided on the exact date I'm leaving Iowa City: September 6. My original post-graduation plan was to paint all summer and move to Los Angeles in the fall. That was my plan for two years. Last fall and winter I started having doubts. My friends and family were advising me to stay and make money, and I'd settled on that plan for a while. But it never felt right. I wanted to leave. I wanted California.

Another thing I realized is I didn't go to college to get a job. I didn't go to college to sit at a desk, to be an office monkey. I went to college to write. So that's what I'm going to do. I'll get a job in Santa Cruz, but just to pay the bills. I'll garden, landscape, paint, work in a hardware store. I'll be my job, but my career will be my writing.

That's about it for now. I'm going to head to bed. I'll be stretching again soon. Peace.

Comments

Popular Posts