Amtrak of City Park

So it's been about a month since I wrote in this. If I remember right, I left work and my blog. I've been back to work, but haven't been back to my blog. I've thought about blogging for a while, but haven't gotten around to it. Work has become a mess and my life's followed suit. But the truth is I'd rather write in my journal, spill all my thoughts onto paper, than edit my mind and emotions for this. Lately I've felt the need to be unedited, uncensored, and uncut. I promised to do those things when writing a post. That's why I've been away for so long. It'll happen.

Here's something different: I'm blogging at home. I got a new computer two weeks ago, so now I can do what I dreaded when I started blogging: I can write in it whenever I want. The browser on my old system was unable to display any of the pages on Blogger, so I was forced to blog only when I had access to a better, newer computer. Now there's one in my room. I'm such a lucky bastard. My computer's better than yours. No doubt.

Tonight I had a fortune cookie:

The fortune says, "A very attractive lady has a message for you." Hmm. My sister asked me, "What if a woman would have gotten that?" I want to imagine the fortune knew it was me (obviously a man) and decided to say that instead of something else. If a woman would have gotten that cookie, the fortune would have been different. That's what I think. We'll never know what happens inside the hard, strangely tasty shell of a fortune cookie. Oh yeah. Green in Chinese is "Lu-se."

Instead of going to California for spring break I'm going to Chicago. I'm leaving tomorrow, taking Amtrak, which should be interesting. I've ridden on trains before, but only for country tours, like in the Wisconsin Dells. The old train in City Park counts, too. It was a very scenic little loop. It rode almost to the little leauge diamonds on the other side of the park, then turned back to the rides area. Maybe there was another stop along the route. It was the Amtrak of City Park. I remember one of the trees growing inside the circle of tracks. Instead of growing up like the others, it had grown to the side, so it was almost parallel with the ground. You could jump on the trunk and sit on it. When I was in high school we had a family reunion at City Park, and I got a little drunk and rode the train with my cousins. I bet it was last time I was on a train, if you call it a train. I do.

So what'll I do in Chicago? I don't know. I'm going to the art museum. That's the only thing I know for sure. The train will come into Union Station, which is right across the river from the Sears Tower. The only time I was in the Sears Tower, on the observation floor, it was raining and cloudy, and low lying clouds blocked the view on three sides. The only side with visibility was the south side. If the skies are clear, and the building open for observation, I'll check it out. I'll be taking my camera, too. I'm not sure if I want to take the 50mm or the 28mm lense I bought at University Camera. The 50 zooms in a little, but the 28 is wide, like I'm standing twenty feet back. I might take both, but I'm only taking my backpack for luggage, so it'll have to fit with my clothes, journal, and whatever else I take. I just want to walk around, see the city, take some pictures, do a little reading (I'm actually studying Chicago in a class, and have to read a book based in the city over break), and do some writing. Of course I'll write all about it when I get back. Maybe I'll find an internet cafe or use my cousin's computer and blog while I'm there. Who knows? That's the attitude I have about it. I'm going to Chicago, and who knows what I'll do when I'm there. I just hope it's warm, so I can walk around in my Reefs.

Comments

Popular Posts