Beer of the Weekend #759: Flagstaff IPA

Unfortunately, I did not return to IC with a bounty of SoCal beer. I planned to visit the ol’ BevMo! on Beach Boulevard in Huntington Beach, but it didn’t happen. I did visit a Trader Joe’s in Irvine and salivated over the expanded selection of local beers, but decided not to buy any. I could have, but didn’t.

Thankfully, that meant I had cooler space when I reached the Denver area. A mini-haul from Colorado is chilling in my fridge and I will tap into it soon.

Before that, though, the beer of the weekend is an appropriately named brew that I bought during a one-night stay in Flagstaff: Flagstaff IPA, brewed by the Lumberyard Brewing Company of Flagstaff, Arizona.


This is, I believe, my first beer from the Grand Canyon State. Crazy, huh?

Flagstaff IPA pours a medium golden-amber into a pint glass. Two fingers of dense, eggshell-colored, bubble-spotted, somewhat shiny head dissipates very slow and unevenly, leaving a lot of lacing on the glass. The aroma is citrusy and tropical — just what I love. There are scents of pineapple, kiwi, grapefruit, orange, floral hops, and a touch of pine. Caramel emerges as the beer warms. The mouthfeel is soft and creamy but the 90 IBUs tickle the taste buds. The floral hop character lingers on the tonsils and the back of the tongue after each sip. The tropical fruit is not as prominent in the flavor as it is in the aroma, but there is a touch of pineapple, kiwi, and maybe mango. The hops dominate, but a sweet caramel base makes itself known as the beer continues to warm.

Fun facts about Flagstaff IPA:

• Style: IPA.

• Price: $9.49 at the Bashas on South Woodlands Village in Flagstaff, Arizona.

• ABV: 6.1 percent ABV.

• IBU: 90.


The Quiet Man’s grade: B+.

Popular Posts