Beer of the Weekend #476: Dale's Pale Ale

Tomorrow around ten o’clock I am having my blood drawn — for the first time in almost seventeen years! That’s right: the babies born the day after I last had blood drawn are now old enough to drive. I need to fast after ten tonight so I am sampling this week’s proper BotW now.

The beer of the weekend is a legend in the craft beer community: Dale’s Pale Ale, brewed by the Oskar Blues Brewing Company of Longmont, Colorado.


I say legend because I always hear people rave about Oskar Blues. Dale’s Pale Ale is the brewery’s flagship beer and always seems to be advertised in BeerAdvocate.

Serving type: 12-ounce can. The “CANNED ON” date printed on the bottom of the can is “03/25/2013 @13:25.” Now that’s how you do it!

Appearance: Poured into a pint glass. The color is pale copper. A finger of buttery, light tan head settled quickly, leaving a thin and bubbly skim, a ring around the edge, and short lacing along the sides.

Smell: The aroma is a tad faint but it is malty and hoppy at the same time. Caramel and toffee on one extreme, and pine resin, grapefruit, and tangerine on the other. The bitterness is really gritty and earthy.

Taste: The mouthfeel is full and dry. Much like the smell, the malts and hops are fused — at least at first. Eventually the hops take control. Lots of pine; the grapefruit from the aroma takes a backseat. Unlike the smell, though, I do not think there is any tangerine. Underneath the spice and citrus are caramel and lightly toasted malts. The bitterness strikes at the end, coating the taste buds and lingering long after each sip.

Drinkability: Hmm. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is my definitive pale ale and I think it will retain the crown. I like Dale’s hoppiness but think it is too aggressive; I think Dale’s is more of an IPA. Semantics aside, it is still a very tasty and drinkable brew.

Fun facts about DPA:

-Style: American Pale Ale.

-Price: Good question. I did not grab the receipt at good o’ Otto’s Elm Grove Liquor’s.

-Serving temperature: 40-45ºF.

-Alcohol content: 6.5 percent ABV.

-IBU: 65.

-Everything else you wanted to know about Dale’s Pale Ale can be found in this video:



I kind of want one of those DPA tall boys as seen being canned and on the “trail side.”

-Printed below the freshness date on the bottom of the can is “INVERT AND ENJOY!” Gladly!


The Quiet Man’s grade: A-.

Popular Posts