Beer of the Weekend #960: Forage

The beer of the weekend, probably two or three weekends ago, was Forage, brewed by the Exile Brewing Company of Des Moines, Iowa.

Forage Nut Brown Ale

Forage caught my eye because I did not expect a brown ale from Exile. Though I am not familiar with their entire lineup, I feel like the folks at Exile focus a lot on sours, so this malty offering piqued my interest. Plus, I like squirrels. And the label is very autumn-like, and I’m a sucker for everything autumn. And I want to revisit the darker styles that I have neglected recently. Winter is a great time to do that.

Serving type: 12-ounce bottle. (Glass bottles are becoming increasingly rare these days.) There is no discernible freshness date.

Appearance: Poured into a pint glass. The color is dark brown with a ruby tint. A finger of light tan head leaves a thin collar and spotted skim.

Smell: Sweet and tempting. There are scents of cocoa, caramel, a nice nuttiness, toasted malt, a touch of molasses, and light cherry licorice.

Taste: Toasted bitterness paired with cocoa, caramel, and nuttiness. Cherry emerges late.

Fun facts about Forage:

• Style: Brown ale.

• Price: $8.99 for a sixer of 12-ounce bottles at the New Pioneer Food Co-op in Iowa City on December 17, 2021.

• Alcohol content: 5 percent ABV.

• IBU: 20.


The Quiet Man’s grade: B.

Comments

Popular Posts