Beer of the Weekend #123: Calico Amber Ale

The beer this weekend is Calico Amber Ale, brewed by the Ballast Point Brewing Company of San Diego, California.


Coming attraction to keep in mind: BotW @ 2, due out April 24. The technical anniversary is April 19, but that’s a Sunday. Sunday’s suck. So, once again, I’ll be celebrating a week later. This time it will be on purpose, though.

March, I’ve decided, is “Motor Oil Month,” when I try stouts, porters, and black lagers. Last week’s sampling of 1554 was just a carry over; I was still craving, as Bullet Tooth Tony put it, “the black stuff.” But now I’m over it. On to more vivacious and happy brews.

Speaking of Bullet Tooth Tony, I realized I haven’t tried many English beers. As shameful as it is, it’s mostly an availability thing. The English brews available locally are the typical fare — usually Newcastle and Bass. Though good brews, they’re mainstream and available everywhere. BevMo! offers a few ciders, but fuck that shit; I’m not tainting BotW with hard cider. (Technically, it’s not even beer, which automatically disqualifies it for weekly sampling.) The only other Brit beers available are those from Fuller’s Brewery, makers of Fuller’s London Pride and Fuller’s E.S.B., which, I assume, is a proper English bitter. I considered trying Fuller’s London Porter, but didn’t have the craving for more heavy, chocolaty beer. Maybe next year.

Serving type: Six 12-ounce bottles.

Appearance: Straight pour into a pint glass. The color is an enticing dark amber/copper. About two fingers of buttery, off-white head developed and dissipated slowly to leave a nice Brussels and spotted lacing, and ring around the edge.

Smell: Tangerine or grapefruit citrus dominates, which reminds me more of a pale ale or IPA than amber ale.

Taste: Follows the smell. Tangerine or grapefruit citrus. It has a considerable hop presence, though it’s not distracting. As it warms, flavors of caramel and toffee emerge.

Drinkability: It’s a pretty good brew, but a little hoppy for my tastes.

Fun facts about Calico Amber Ale:

-Style: American Amber/Red Ale. BA has this to say:

Primarily a catch all for any beer less than a Dark Ale in color, ranging from amber (duh) to deep red hues. This style of beer tends to focus on the malts, but hop character can range from low to high. Expect a balanced beer, with toasted malt characters and a light fruitiness in most examples. The range can run from a basic ale, to American brewers who brew faux-Oktoberfest style beers that are actually ales instead of lagers.

-Price: $9.79/sixer at the BevMo! on Beach.

-Serving temperature: 45-50ºF.

-Alcohol content: 5 percent ABV.

-Food pairings: BA recommends sharp cheeses (blue, cheddar) and meat (beef, poultry, and fish).

-Ballast Point? From the bottom of the carrier:

The name for the brewery comes from the point where Spanish explorers first set foot in California. Located on the Point Loma peninsula, Ballast Point is considered the gateway to San Diego Harbor. Stones from this area were used as ballast in the cargo holds of sailing ships returning to the eastern seaboard. Many New England streets are still lined with the ballast brought back from San Diego.

-San Diego. I’ve been there twice since I’ve lived in SoCal; once downtown, in SD proper, and another time in La Jolla. I was there when I was almost two, but I obviously don’t remember that visit at all. Everyone is in love with San Diego. From what I’ve seen, San Diego County is much more preferable than the OC or LA. It’s not as crowded, congested, vain, glitzy, or polluted. Plus, they’re building a somewhat decent public transit system. It’s a nice place, but I don’t understand the SD love fest.


The Quiet Man’s grade: B.

Comments

Popular Posts