Beer of the Weekend #798: Workman's Compensation

Though summer ended earlier this week, I decided to feature one last beer in my summer growler series: Workman’s Compensation, brewed by the Lion Bridge Brewing Company of Cedar Rapids, Iowa.


I wanted to save Workman’s Compensation for my 800th review. Unfortunately, due to an insane amount of rain that fell in northcentral Iowa on Wednesday night, Lion Bridge will be flooded when the river rises in Cedar Rapids early next week. I read in the CRG that the brewery moved kegs and equipment, but production will obviously be on hold. For how long? Hopefully not long, but we’ll see. Needless to say, I wanted to get some Workman’s Compensation while I could.

I wish the best to the folks at Lion Bridge, and also those at the Iowa Brewing Company, which I think will also be flooded.

On to the review.

Workman’s Compensation is a luscious, deep mahogany. A finger of tight, light tan, shiny, bubbly head leaves a broken skim and collar of foam. Toasted malt is immediately noticeable when unscrewing the growler cap. I think I could even smell it when the growler was being filled at the tap line. It is very toasty — toast toasty. However, there are also scents of chocolate, toffee, and dark fruit. It’s simple but oh so good. The mouthfeel is creamy and the flavor is a delicious mirror of the aroma. There is a lot of toasted (toast toasted!) malt plus hints of chocolate, toffee, and dark fruit. A toasted bitterness lingers on the taste buds after each sip.

Fun facts about Workman’s Compensation:

• Style: Dark mild.

• Price: $11 for a 64-ounce growler fill at the North Dodge Hy-Vee Market Grille. I didn’t realize I could fill growlers at Hy-Vee Market Grilles until yesterday. I will definitely take advantage of that.

• Alcohol content: 4.5 percent ABV.

• Workman’s Compensation won a gold medal at the 2014 Great American Beer Festival.


The Quiet Man’s grade: A.

Popular Posts