Thirty-three

Today I turn thirty-three, the age Jesus was when he was crucified. I think that’s how old he was. I can’t remember for sure.

Anyway…

In Back to the Future Part II, Doc and Marty arrive in the future on October 21, 2015. Though they miss my birthday by one day, I always thought it was cool that the future edition of the USA Today Doc has is from October 22, 2015 — today, my thirty-third birthday.

I was wondering if the USA Today would acknowledge that fact today, and thought it would be cool if they printed the version of the paper that appeared in the movie, or used the same masthead and design. Well, imagine my surprise when I saw this on New Pi’s newsstand today:


Today’s USA Today features a fake, four-page “Hill Valley Edition” front section with a front page that looks exactly like the October 22, 2015 edition Doc first shows in the movie. Inside are full-page ads for Jaws 19 (“Best Jaws Sequel of the Year!”) and the USA Today App. The back features an ad for the Back to the Future trilogy’s 30th anniversary edition DVD and Blu-Ray packs and the Michael J. Fox Foundation. The real edition of today’s paper features Part II-inspired section heads and articles. On the front page is an article by Bob Gale, the screenwriter for the Back to the Future trilogy, in which he makes predictions about life in 2045. (He doesn’t think there will be flying cars then, either. To be honest, we don’t need flying cars.)

Needless to say, it’s pretty cool on a number of levels for me.

Popular Posts