Beer of the Weekend #695: Dubbel Night Vision

It’s that time of the month — the time when my LV recommendation deadline is fast approaching. I do not know what I want to recommend so I thought I would try something I have been eying the past couple weeks: Dubbel Night Vision, brewed by the Kalona Brewing Company of Kalona, Iowa.


I know exactly what is now stuck in your head.

The color is a very dark brown, almost black. A finger of light tan head does not stick around for long, leaving a thin ring around the edge and a spot of skim. It smells delicious with scents of cherry, apple, banana, licorice, and caramel. It has a boozy edge and reminds me of my post-Thanksgiving drink, Unibroue’s Trois Pistoles. The mouthfeel is a little thin but it’s okay. The flavor is pretty bold and a touch boozy but does not live up to the complexity of the aroma. There are flavors of toasted (almost roasted) malt that makes it reminiscent of a stout or brown ale. It is sweet, though, with flavors of caramel, burnt sugar, cherry licorice, apple, yeast, raisins, banana, and cocoa.

Fun facts about Dubbel Vision:

• Style: Dubbel.

• Price: $7.99 per 22-ounce bottle at the New Pioneer Food Co-op in Iowa City.

• Alcohol content: 7.8 percent ABV.

• IBU: 18.6.

• Color: 24.25 SRM.

• I love the first sentence of the brewery description: “A light tan head complements the ruby appearance while the rich, malty sweet nose, reminiscent of dried cherries and raisins, cavorts with the olfactory senses.”


The Quiet Man’s grade: B-.

Popular Posts