Beer of the Weekend #472: Shotgun Betty

I finally finished a batch of proofs today so I thought I would celebrate with a brown bottle lunch: Shotgun Betty Hefeweizen, brewed by the Lonerider Brewing Company of Raleigh, North Carolina.


Serving type: 12-ounce bottle. “BEST BEFORE 06.20.2013” is printed on the label. I guess I waited a couple days too long.

Appearance: Poured into a weizen glass. The color is cloudy amber. A little light, soda-like foam dissipated immediately.

Smell: Whoa! An American wheat beer that actually smells like a true hefeweizen! Though faint, the aromas are unmistakable: banana, apple, cloves, wheat, and bubblegum.

Taste: The bottle is pretty old so the taste is flat and cardboard-like. But there are hints of what it used to be: apple, banana, clove, wheat, and a little bubblegum.

Drinkability: I wish I had a fresher bottle because this seemed like it was a decent hefe.

Fun facts about SBH:

-Style: Hefeweizen.

-Serving temperature: 45-50ºF.

-Alcohol content: 5.8 percent ABV.

-Written on the back label is this: “Shotgun Betty is a sexy, tough cowgirl who is always armed and dangerous.” On the beer’s webpage is a slightly different version: “Shotgun Betty uses her sharpshooting skills to target those that show a weakness for wheat beer with a body that won’t quit.”


The Quiet Man’s grade: C-.

Popular Posts