Beer of the Weekend #467: Martens Witte

Holy cow: I have time to blog! It’s a miracle!

I am heading to Milwaukee on Friday so I thought would do a couple mid-week tastings. I mowed my aunt and uncle’s lawn a couple times while they were in North Carolina and they paid me with a custom sixer of Tar Heel State beer. I’ll tap into that later, though, because the beer tonight was an impulse purchase at John’s: Martens Witte, brewed by Brouwerij Martens NV of Bocholt, Belgium.


Yes, I am using one of my becker glasses. Instinct tells me to serve witbier in a weizen glass, but BA recommends a pint glass. Sure, why not?

Serving type: 500 ml can. “E: 31/08/13” is printed on the bottom of the can and I assume that is a best-by date.

Appearance: Poured into a becker glass. The color is hazy, pale gold. Two fingers of buttery, eggshell-colored head left an even skim and thick ring around the edge.

Smell: Very spicy for a wit, and I assume that is because of the coriander. It smells like a saison at first. However, the spice fades and the usual wit qualities emerge. Pale malts, wheat, yeast, a splash of Radler-like lemon, and orange peel.

Taste: Light mouthfeel. The spice is noticeable at first, but it fades and tames considerably. Pale malts, wheat, Radler-like lemon, yeast, and orange peel.

Drinkability: Decent enough. I am not much of a witbier fan, but this sets itself apart from others.

Fun facts about Martens Witte:

-Style: Witbier.

-Price: $2.79/can at John’s Grocery in Iowa City.

-Serving temperature: 45-50ºF.

-Alcohol content: 4.8 percent ABV.


The Quiet Man’s grade: B-.

Popular Posts